*6 year Maintenance is required every 6 years from either the date of manufacture or the last year of service
**Hydro-test of the cylinder is required every twelve years from the date of manufacture.
Finding the date of manufacture:
The date is either on the label or stamped on the bottom, or around the neck of the cylinder.
For example "00" indicates 2000 the cylinder is due for a 6 year maintenance "94" would indicate 1994 the cylinder is due for a 12 year hydro-test.
Note: sometimes the stamped date is so faint on the bottom it can only be seen at a specific angle in the light.
Annual Maintenance - basics
- the condition of the cylinder is good - not gauged, dented or rusted
- the label and serial number are legible
- the hose through hole is clear
- the hose is not damaged
- the gauge and writing on gauge can be read clearly
- the gauge is not damaged
- the gauge indicates pressure is good ( in green)
- the powder is 'fluffed' not compacted to insure flow of powder upon activation
- pull pin and tamper seals are in place
- the handle is not bent and is operational
- the weight of extinguisher is within the manufacture guidelines stated on the label
- the extinguisher is mounted properly - The bottom is > 4" from the floor and the top of the handle is < 5'
- date of manufacture is within 6 or 12 years or the date of last 6 year maintenance or hydro-test is within 6 or 12 years - 5 for CO2 type
- tag cylinder